Sunday, April 19, 2009

Roughing it...

So, J finally talked me into going camping for the first time (in my life) and it wasn't too bad. We went with our friends Kristie and Todd - who we also have Predators season tickets with so now that the hockey season is over, Todd and J think it's time to start camping season. We spent Friday night in the woods. Below you will see me at our campsite wearing my borrowed backpack.
Below is a pic of our actual campsite. We had a four person tent and had to "hike in" to our campsite, though not very far....


J is looking at 5 deer in this pic. The deer were below the hill, so you can't see them in the pic, but you can see part of the trail we had to hike to get to our campsite.

Oh, I forgot to mention where we were camping....Fall Creek Falls. We hiked all over the park on Saturday. There are alot more waterfalls than just the one. I think we hiked around 7 miles and saw about 6 waterfalls. Oh, and in case you are wondering, snakes are out! We saw one on our hiking trail. Eeek. Anyway, the waterfall below is Fall Creek Falls. It is the highest waterfall east of the Rockies at 256 feet and it's right here in Tennessee!

Our hardest hike was getting to the bottom of falls. You've got to do a lot of climbing over rocks, and that's not easy going down or coming back up. Here is J taking a break, looking all outdoorsy (if that is a word).
We did finally make it to the bottom, the pic below is as close as I got because it feels like it's raining due to all of the spray coming off of the falls.
We all had a really good time. I wouldn't want to camp every weekend, but I will probably do it again!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Oh how I would love to do that!!! You know how we love camping, but we don't "rough it" like that anymore! Sometimes I still wish we did. Great picts of the falls too!

steph said...

AK - while I was camping I actually thought, "Aimee will never believe I'm doing this!!". Now that I've got one trip under my belt maybe with can go with you and Wayne sometime.