Monday, May 18, 2009

N' Awlins by way of Old Hickory

Steph and I went down to the Southland on Saturday to see my family. Everyone was there except my brother Ron who still lives in New Jersey. My sister-in-law, Jenny, brought me 2 pounds of fresh off the dock jumbo shrimp. Her dad owns a shrimping boat and her parents still live just south of New Orleans! Think Forrest Gump in a cajun way.

The first time I ever ate Cajun cooking was at Jenny and Ramsey's wedding. Her mamma can cook!!! Got me hooked big time! I have always tinkered with recipes, some from a box and some not, such as Jambalaya, Etouffe, and seasoned chicken. Tonight, I got adventurous and attempted Shrimp Creole from scratch. I had to put this shrimp to use!

I have a wife who mainly eats chicken. I have tried to show her the benefits of those lovable crustaceans, but with no success. I mean Mr. Jimmy Buffett even named an album after those pink crustaceans!!!! Back on topic, I substituted chicken in hers for Chicken Creole.

This is Steph's dinner cooking on the stove. I started with the same roux before I separated her chicken and my shrimp.

Here is my Shrimp Creole cooking on the stove. You can see that I am not the cleanest cook in the world.

Steph's dinner is finished and on the table. Chicken Creole served over steamed brown rice with some garlic toast.


Here is my masterpiece! Shrimp Creole served the same way. I like mine hot and have some Tabasco on the side!
I have the recipe if anyone wants to try it. It turned out to be an excellent dinner!

6 comments:

parker's granny said...

We need to come up with you a chef name! That looks great, what a good husband you are to have dinner on the table like that!

steph said...

My dinner was quite delish. J is a great cook (and really enjoys it). Lucky for me he fixes dinner almost every night. When I'm in charge of dinner we just have something out of the freezer or go eat Mexican food!!

House Queen said...

Not only am I impressed by the fact that he cooks dinner every night...but what is the most impressive is that he fixed this dish TWO ways just to please Steph! That is a very sweet thing! Way to go Jay! When can Dana sign up for some lessons?

parkersmom said...

I'm not much into Cajun, but I would have even tried that. Looks good.

Aimee said...

Look Yummy!!!

Kristen said...

Um....I once puked my head off after eating Jambalaya (is that how you spell it?)....no thanks...I do not even want to smell it...I even had spices coming out my nose....good visual huh? I am sure Steph loved it though!!!!